[Development] ICU decision?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Aug 7 17:21:28 CEST 2013

On quarta-feira, 7 de agosto de 2013 08:00:27, Knoll Lars wrote:
> >The only "degraded experience" I would accept is "full functionality for
> >C and
> >system locales". It would be acceptable for the classes to not have any
> >support for other locales, like trying to get number formatting for
> >Azerbaijani on a German Windows.
>
> That would be acceptable for now IMO.
>
> The third option we discussed:
>
> * Require ICU, but have a 'fake' ICU lib available to deploy with Qt on
> Windows/Android for those who want to ship with minimal i18n support. Add
> some support to our packaging to choose which ICU lib to take.

Thanks for the suggestions.

If we go straight for option 3, can we get this fake library done in the next
couple of months?

If we go for option 2 first, we'd have to investigate if there is any system
API to provide QCollator support for the system locale. Does anyone know of
such a thing?

I'm sorry, but I will block any task on making QCollator public until we know
that we can have a working QtCore without an ICU dependency.