[Development] ICU decision?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Aug 8 01:23:49 CEST 2013

On quinta-feira, 8 de agosto de 2013 00:43:20, John Layt wrote:
> * Spellout Style, e.g "ten"
> * Ordinal Style, e.g. "10th" - ICU only
> * Currency Name Style, e.g. "10 US Dollars" - ICU only
> * Decimal Pattern  - user defined pattern and symbols
> * Padding - alter pad char, pad width, pad position
> * Rounding - change mode and increment
> * Currency format using ISO currency code - pass the ISO code and correct
> symbol and decimal places are used
> * Choice of defining min/max int/frac, or significant digits
> * Lenient / Strict parsing modes
>
> The spellout, ordinal, and currency features are things KDE is particularly
> interested in.
>
> For date/time, it only looks to be full, medium, and relative date formats
> that Win32 doesn't provide, all of which KDE wants.

Can you list the above in the form of Qt API? I'm not sure we have most of
what you listed above in our API today and we don't have any plans of adding
them...

I understand that there is a lot of features that KDE wants, and under other
circumstances I wouldn't hesitate to give, but at this point I need to weigh
the cost: if giving this API will require a major dependency we're not
prepared to give.