[Development] epoll event dispatcher

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Aug 8 17:18:18 CEST 2013

On quinta-feira, 8 de agosto de 2013 10:38:10, Cyril Oblikov wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I wonder if anyone is working on epoll event dispatcher for Qt5 to
> replace current select/poll based solution?
>
> For now I've only found QTBUG-24957 [1], and two different
> implementations on github based on libevent [2] and epoll [3]
>
> Any thoughts?

Despite the comments in it, the task is actually unrelated. It's asking about
a poll-based dispatcher, not an epoll-based one. A poll-based dispatcher makes
a lot of sense and I'd love to see it implemented.

An epoll-based one, however, I won't accept. I don't think it's needed, and
worse I think it will add more overhead than a poll-based one. Even if we
don't use timerfds and we stick to plain socket notifiers, Qt code turns socket
notifiers on an off all the time. With epoll, we'll have to make syscalls for
each activation or deactivation.