[Development] Namespacing Qt modules

Sze Howe Koh szehowe.koh at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 06:24:52 CEST 2013

Hi all,

There's a discussion at
https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,62152 about namespaces.
Someone referred to a recent IRC discussion (is there a log
available?), and it sounds like people want to wrap modules in
namespaces. There's also an official guideline written over a year ago
advocating namespaces, which seems to have been largely ignored:
http://qt-project.org/wiki/Creating-a-new-module-or-tool-for-Qt#03fa1e2be330cf40074c0a55dafe27c4

I guess the main questions are: Do we want namespaces? If so, are we
in a position to start enforcing them in new modules? (The Gerrit
discussion mentions problems with signal-slot connections and QML type
usage)

Going into details, do we want to allow nested namespaces? How can
this be implemented in a way that fits nicely with existing
namespaces? I ask these because we already have namespaces that cover
subsets of modules, which don't fit the
one-namespace-to-rule-each-module model:
    - Qt Multimedia has 3: QMultimedia, QMediaMetaData, and QAudio
    - Qt Network has 1: QSsl

Regards,
Sze-Howe