[Development] Proposal: Allow contributors to +1 sanity review.

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Aug 13 19:45:21 CEST 2013

On terça-feira, 13 de agosto de 2013 10:26:42, Alan Alpert wrote:
> > (or because they enjoy outsmarting the system just for the sake
> > of it, like you apparently do)
>
> We *define* the system. The fact that I have to work around it in
> order to do my job properly shows that the system is defective and
> needs to be rectified. Lars mentioned at the contributor summit that
> we need to make the review process easier for people, and fixing the
> system to have fewer unnecessary hurdles is an obvious way to do that.
>
> A more effective change which I recommend would be to have the bot not
> give -1 on the heuristics which are known to give false positives more
> frequently. It's enough that it provides a warning comment, allowing
> the contributors to address the issue if legitimate. But the -1 can
> also be viewed as a hint that there's relevant output, since it's so
> prominent in the gerrit interface, so the -1 isn't a problem so long
> as it doesn't slow us down.

I don't see what's wrong with the current system. Let's keep it.

The bot usually doesn't make a mistake. When it does, we can override it.
That's why we can override it in the first place: because it sometimes makes
mistakes.

I have overridden the bot sometimes when it complained that I used British
English in the commit message. I know I shouldn't do that.