[Development] Using QCollator on different platforms, without ICU

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue Aug 13 19:50:23 CEST 2013

Hi,
So since we're a bit stuck on that area, I guessed that it would be a good
idea to start to get our hands dirty.

I started an approximation to the project by implementing the different API
bits using the different platforms native API.

You can find where I got to in by:
git clone git://anongit.kde.org/scratch/apol/test_collator
(note: it's not tested to work, it just builds and I'm not an expert on
either )

It's not pretty and we'll probably want to iterate over the API, but here's
the status:
- icu: everything works wonderful. Unicorns.
- posix: you can't select either the algorithm or any of the settings. It's
using the system locale_t, so I don't think we can go much further.
- mac: you can switch only some of the settings, others simply don't have
an API mapping.
- win: same as mac, but with different parts of the API.

Now we'd need some kind of discussion regarding what kind of API we'd like
and how flexible we can be to API that has different behaviors depending on
what settings it's compiled it (note that most platforms can have all
posix, icu or their own), this way I'll know how to proceed.

Cheers!
Aleix