[Development] Using QCollator on different platforms, without ICU

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Wed Aug 14 14:54:53 CEST 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 8:08 PM, Thiago Macieira
<thiago.macieira at intel.com>wrote:

> On terça-feira, 13 de agosto de 2013 19:50:23, Aleix Pol wrote:
> > It's not pretty and we'll probably want to iterate over the API, but
> here's
> > the status:
> > - icu: everything works wonderful. Unicorns.
> > - posix: you can't select either the algorithm or any of the settings.
> It's
> > using the system locale_t, so I don't think we can go much further.
> > - mac: you can switch only some of the settings, others simply don't have
> > an API mapping.
> > - win: same as mac, but with different parts of the API.
> >
> > Now we'd need some kind of discussion regarding what kind of API we'd
> like
> > and how flexible we can be to API that has different behaviors depending
> on
> > what settings it's compiled it (note that most platforms can have all
> > posix, icu or their own), this way I'll know how to proceed.
>
> Thanks for the investigation, Aleix.
>
> I'm ok with a non-ICU build supporting only the system locale. Collation in
> the "C" is trivial, so we can implement that by ourselves.
>
> However much I dislike common denominators, what is the common denominator
> API
> that we can provide in all platforms?
> --

Hi!
I've put together a small table displaying whether the different
methods/properties can be implemented in the different platforms:
https://qt-project.org/wiki/QCollator

I hope this helps!
Aleix

PS: I also hope it's ok to create new wiki pages like that :)