[Development] Metadata for loading QML plugins (was: qmlbundle vs Qt Resource System)

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Aug 14 20:33:39 CEST 2013

On quarta-feira, 14 de agosto de 2013 11:13:09, Alan Alpert wrote:
> > yes, it *must* be extended. you must make the system find the plugins
> > themselves, not the qmldir files.
>
> You've failed to convince me that this *must* happen. The current
> system works fine, this change would not fix the statically linked
> plugin case, and the only advantage I see is that we'd be able to use
> the JSON metadata - which is another change without any clear
> advantage. Considering the thread started by decrying 'work for the
> sake of it' I think we need some compelling reasons to make that
> change.

This discussion is not constructive anymore.

Alan, please explain what the QML engine needs when it finds a given import
statement. Assume an "abstract could of plugins" and that you can get any
information you'd like from that cloud.

Let's start with the ideal scenario and then we'll see what we can do.