[Development] Using QCollator on different platforms, without ICU

Sorvig Morten Morten.Sorvig at digia.com
Thu Aug 15 14:39:48 CEST 2013

On Aug 15, 2013, at 1:13 PM, Knoll Lars <Lars.Knoll at digia.com> wrote:

>> sortKey: the lack of OS X support is worrying... didn't they have just a
>> simple wrapper around ICU?
>
> Yes, that's weird. I'd propose to load the required symbol dynamically
> from ICU on Mac.

This is not app-store safe - I will not sleep well at night if we go for that solution :)

To me the main use case of QCollator is "compare these two strings according to the user locale". The app can't really know or control how the strings will be sorted, and on OS X there is actually an "Order for sorted list" setting which determines how. This setting includes options like Tradidional/Reformed/Phonetic for some languages.

For more advanced use cases we should have the option of bundling ICU+data with the app.

Morten