[Development] QTBUG-30440: restricting the SIMD files

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Aug 15 21:04:36 CEST 2013

On quinta-feira, 15 de agosto de 2013 17:01:49, Knoll Lars wrote:
> On 8/15/13 5:07 PM, "Sune Vuorela" <nospam at vuorela.dk> wrote:
> >On 2013-08-15, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> >> Uh... no, I don't think we can assume that. I'm afraid of Sune and
> >>
> >>other
> >>
> >> distro packagers! :-)
> >
> >*whistles innocently*
>
> But honestly: What's the oldest CPU you still consider supported? It must
> be a bit newer then i386, which I think our default build flags currently
> are still compatible with...

The Qt source code requires i486, even if the compiler doesn't generate i486
code. The only interesting instruction from i486 is XADD, which the compiler
doesn't generate by default (unless you're using GCC atomic intrinsics) and we
use in assembly from qatomic_x86.h.

But I don't think we should raise that at the Qt Project level. It's a
distribution choice. And as I said, the distro engines probably already set
the necessary CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS when building to their minima, and our
buildsystem will pick them up.

We should do the same for our binaries, though: set the minimum to something
from the past decade.

I recommend:
	CFLAGS (x86) = -march=i686 -mtune=core2 -msse2 -mfpmath=sse
	CFLAGS (x86-64) = -mtune=core2
	LFLAGS = -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-z,relro

For MSVC, set CFLAGS on x86 to -arch:SSE2.