[Development] Using QCollator on different platforms, without ICU

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Aug 19 13:40:37 CEST 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 7:50 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> So since we're a bit stuck on that area, I guessed that it would be a good
> idea to start to get our hands dirty.
>
> I started an approximation to the project by implementing the different
> API bits using the different platforms native API.
>
> You can find where I got to in by:
> git clone git://anongit.kde.org/scratch/apol/test_collator
> (note: it's not tested to work, it just builds and I'm not an expert on
> either )
>
> It's not pretty and we'll probably want to iterate over the API, but
> here's the status:
> - icu: everything works wonderful. Unicorns.
> - posix: you can't select either the algorithm or any of the settings.
> It's using the system locale_t, so I don't think we can go much further.
> - mac: you can switch only some of the settings, others simply don't have
> an API mapping.
> - win: same as mac, but with different parts of the API.
>
> Now we'd need some kind of discussion regarding what kind of API we'd like
> and how flexible we can be to API that has different behaviors depending on
> what settings it's compiled it (note that most platforms can have all
> posix, icu or their own), this way I'll know how to proceed.
>
> Cheers!
> Aleix

Porting it to Mac's UnicodeUtilities made the MacOS X side to look much
better. I also changed from casePreferences to Qt::CaseSensitivity, which I
think that makes the API feel a bit more integrated.

Thoughts?

Aleix

PS: I forgot to say that if you want to take a look at the code, you can do
so from here:
http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=scratch%2Fapol%2Ftest_collator.git&a=tree