[Development] QTBUG-30440: restricting the SIMD files

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Aug 19 17:33:50 CEST 2013

On segunda-feira, 19 de agosto de 2013 07:56:43, Koehne Kai wrote:
> > We recommend people set the environment if they want different flags,
> > besides the stock from their compilers.
>
> Where do we recommend this? E.g.
>
> http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtdoc/install-x11.html
>
> just says to run configure ... Actually it doesn't look like CFLAGS, LFLAGS
> is mentioned anywhere in the Qt documentation.

The Unix configure script behaves like any configure script on Unix. It's
expected that it honours those variables because every configure script does. I
don't think we need to document what's the minimum functionality expected from
any configure script.

> > If we recommend that, why not use
> > that ourselves?
>
> Well, I just think most people compiling on their own will miss this
> optimization then. If we think it's a useful optimization that helps >95%
> of our customers, it should IMO be the default . If not, I'm not sure we
> should apply it to our binary installers either.

As I said, we don't have to do anything on Windows. Just compile with MSVC
2012. It generates SSE2 code by default.

As for people compiling Qt from sources, they're getting the same
optimisations that they're getting in other software. I think it's more
important to be consistent than to get better code (however better it is).