[Development] One qmake and cross compilation for different targets

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Aug 23 19:34:17 CEST 2013

On sexta-feira, 23 de agosto de 2013 13:09:50, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> but what you really want is dropping the host tool build from the
> x-build and using a pre-built host build of qt instead. that is easy to
> build into configure, but hard to make useful, because the tools were
> never designed to work with a "foreign" qt build. e.g., lupdate and
> lrelease call the qmake in their own binary dir to find out about
> "their" qt build, and of course qmake is bound to the build. within the
> build, configure-generated files are freely mixed with static files
> (both c++ headers and qmake pri files). it's a total mess.
> i'm planning to untangle this *somehow* for 5.3 (hopefully), but don't
> expect any related activity before that.

Also note that the tools themselves are not backwards compatible.

After it's compiled, the meta object retain compatibility, but that's not the
case for the compilation itself: you can't mix a moc from Qt 5.1 with a
qobjectdefs.h from Qt 5.2, for example. (you can today, but there's no
guarantee we won't change the meta object versions again)