[Development] Puzzled by desktop development priorities, Mac OS specifically [Warning: Rant]

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 20:36:24 CEST 2013

> The time has come to focus on UI details, and this is where Qt gives me grey hairs. I started out developing in Qt 4.8, and experienced several issues
> that didn’t work on the Mac (From the top of my head: Overlays on video widgets), or just looked plain wrong in
> Mac OS context (For example: Table rows with alternate row colors does not extend to the bottom if only containing a few rows;
> list view items does not scroll properly if setting an item widget).

Qt went through a period (during Nokia ownership) where focus on the
desktop side of things did drop off. To be fair to Digia, since they
took over, there has been much more active work on the desktop
platform. The internals of the Mac platform integration are certainly
in a much cleaner state now.

If you have specific problems that you need fixed, you should talk to
Digia about a support contract. Your comments are welcome but really,
Digia's first duty is to their paying customers.

I work on a Mac app that uses Qt and I think we've done a decent job
of polishing the Mac look and feel but it has required attention to
detail, input from professional UI designers and direct use of native
widgets and APIs in a few places. Qt does save time over the
alternatives for a multi-platform app but there is no free ride I'm
afraid.

> and to start ... just be able to deploy a qt quick2 application on mac ... macdeployqt is broken for 5.1 and it seems that nobody care about it...

The update-mac-bundle-lib-names script in
https://github.com/Mendeley/Mac-OS-X-Bundle-Utilities may be of use as
an alternative for fixing library paths in app bundles.

Regards,
Rob.