[Development] CI failing regularly

Frederik Gladhorn frederik.gladhorn at digia.com
Tue Aug 27 10:56:20 CEST 2013

Tirsdag 20. august 2013 14.47.46 skrev Stephen Kelly:
> Hi,
>
> I haven't seen any other mails about this. Is anyone who is capable of doing
> something about it aware of the problem that qtbase CI keeps failing for
> reasons unrelated to the patches under test?
>
>  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.qt.ci-reports
>
> Is anything being done about it?

Yes. The actual CI machines went through a period of turbulence (moving from
Nokia to Digia, also physically) and it took some time for us to get aquainted
with the heritage.
It is still not visible, but the first improvements are starting to show, the
actual CI runs smoother now, and we need to put the blame to a big part on
badly written tests now.

Fixing unit tests to run reliable is a hard task, but everyone is welcome to
help. We started labeling all those tasks in JIRA with the "autotest" label so
that we can track what actually blocks us in the CI.
https://bugreports.qt-project.org/issues/?filter=14541

So the best way for a smooth workflow for all of us is fixing those issues.
We're trying to get the situation under control and easily admit that it's not
good enough yet, but hopefully we'll get there soon.

We cannot risk randomly disabling unit tests as we had several cases (for
example on the way to Qt 5) where this hurt us bitterly, so this needs a case
by case decision.

--
Best regards,
Frederik Gladhorn