[Development] [Feature Request] Websockets

Richard Gerd Kuesters richard at humantech.com.br
Wed Aug 28 19:28:11 CEST 2013

Hi all. Sorry for dragging this subject again, but here we go.

A couple of things got me thinking about the WebSocket implementation:

1. Almost (if not all) web browser network interactions (HTTP, FTP
(limited), file) are created by QNetworkAccessManager - which also
provides proxy configuration, etc etc;
2. I believe that a websocket client would be directly attached to this
network behaviour; it makes no sense to have a "headless" websocket in
Qt - why not use a conventional socket? I think it might be useful, but
just in some special cases. Other thing is: as I was looking into webkit
source code, it already has a websocket client implementation. That
brings another question: why is it there, after all? Why not in the
network core?
3. About the websocket server: it is, in fact, a new implementation for Qt.

I'm not trying to be a pain in the a**, just the devil's advocate,
random thoughts on the direction this intend to go.

Best regards,
Richard.