[Development] Deprecating & removing the old atomics

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at digia.com
Tue Dec 3 08:42:27 CET 2013

On 03.12.13 03:02, "Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

>On quarta-feira, 19 de dezembro de 2012 15:00:41, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> I'd like to propose the following:
>>  - Qt 5.1 deprecates the old atomic code and their platforms
>>  - Qt 5.2 *removes* the code that doesn't get updated
>
>Looks like we forgot to announce the deprecation in Qt 5.1. I've just
>pushed
>the deprecation notice for Qt 5.2.0's changelog:
>
>	https://codereview.qt-project.org/73053
>
>And the actual removal to dev:
>
>	https://codereview.qt-project.org/73054
>
>There have been no replies to this thread in the last 348 days, so I
>consider
>the decision done: those headers will be removed. If anyone wants to have
>those platforms still working, please write the new atomics.

I think people simply forgot about it. The message went out just before
christmas last year, when everybody was just happy to have gotten 5.0 out.
So let’s give people another few weeks to fix atomics for 5.3.

The change log entry for 5.2 is IMO the wrong message if we want to keep
some of the platforms alive after all. In addition, none of the platforms
you mark as being deprecated where supported with Qt 5 in the first place.
So I’d be happier if we reworded this, saying that the old basicatomics
are deprecated and support for them will get removed in 5.3.

Cheers,
Lars