[Development] OpenGL drivers

Thomas Hartmann Thomas.Hartmann at digia.com
Wed Dec 4 12:34:51 CET 2013

Hi,

what is already possible is to read the font.pixelSize property for a
specific point size or just using the implicit size of a text item.
One main problems with layouts following physical units (pt, cm), is
that icons (all pixel based resources) have to be scaled accordingly (or
have a "random" size). And most icons are still pixel and not vector
based and scale badly.

Eventually on high dpi screens it would make sense of course, to ditch
all pixels and only use vector bases resources. But this is not our
reality, yet.

Kind Regards,
Thomas Hartmann

Am 04/12/2013 11:47, schrieb Sletta Gunnar:
> QWidget has the exact opposite problem. Layouts, styles and rendering happens in pixel units while fonts are sized in point size. This is also a problem when moving between platfoms as the pixelsize of a point has a different definition on each platform. When running widgets on a hidpi screen, the fonts are usually huge compared to spacing, lines and icons. In addition to looking quite ugly it easily breaks the layout scheme set up by the application because the text takes up too much space.
>
> As long as one sticks to one unit type through the application everything is fine. Mixing leads to problems.
>
> Just thinking out loud:
>
> Sticking to pixels makes it possible for the application developer to make the right decision based on what he/she wants to achieve. Layout out relative to millimeters can quite easily be done by providing supporting logic in Qt.
>
> If we added conversion functions for inch(), cm(), mm(), points() to QQuickItem, it could look up its current window/screen object and figure out the relationship between each unit for the screen the item is on and just set that. The app can then layout in the unit space it prefers with information readily available.
>
> Text {
>      font.pixelSize: cm(0.5);
>      anchors.left: parent.left
>      anchors.margins: cm(0.25);
> }
>

> Making them functions makes it impossible to listen for screen changes which in turn trigger dpi changes so they would have to be properties...
>
> Text {
>      font.pixelSize: 0.5 * cm;
>      anchors.left: parent.left
>      anchors.margins: 0.25 * cm;
> }
>
> The properties would look up the item's window and then the screen and do the calculation from there so no extra memory for each item to store the properties. And since they don't change all that often, the added calculation is a negligible overhead. When the item is not associated with a window, it will have to use the OS definition of a point instead, usually 72 or 96.
>
> Just an idea.
>
> -
> Gunnar

Thomas Hartmann
Software Engineer
Nokia, Qt Development Frameworks

Digia Germany GmbH

Rudower Chausse 13, 12489 D-Berlin

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin, Registergericht: Amtsgericht
Charlottenburg, HRB 144331 B,
Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Anja Wasenius

Email: thomas.hartmann at digia.com

Digia Germany is a group company of Digia Plc,

Valimotie 21, FI-00380 Helsinki Finland

Visit us at: www.digia.com

PRIVACY AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This message and any attachments are intended only for use by the named
addressee and may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If
you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, copy or take
any action in reliance on it. If you have received this message in
error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the message and
any attachments accompanying it. Digia Germany GmbH and Digia Plc do not
accept liability for any corruption, interception, amendment, tampering
or viruses occurring to this message.