[Development] 5.3 schedule

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at digia.com
Fri Dec 6 08:45:13 CET 2013

Hi everybody,

Now that 5.2 is getting close to being released, I think it’s time to have
a look at a time schedule for 5.3. I’d like 5.3 to be less feature
oriented then 5.2 has been, and more focused on stability and performance.

At the same time I would like to adjust our release schedules, so that we
don’t end up releasing directly before summer vacations again. After
talking with the release team and some other people, I’d believe we should
go for the following schedule:

14.2.2014 Feature Freeze
20.2.2014 Alpha Release
13.3.2014 Beta Release
10.4.2014 Release Candidate
29.4.2014 Final Release

This is shorter then the 6 months we aim for in the longer term, but will
then finally bring us into a spring/autumn cycle. It implies that feature
freeze comes earlier than many of you might have expected. But according
to our experiences with 5.1 and 5.2 we will need a bit more then 2 months
for the alpha/beta/RC/final cycle. The schedule above is about 2.5 months,
to account for easter.

So please have a look at the schedule above and try to adjust your plans
accordingly.

Cheers,
Lars