[Development] Enabling SSE2 by default on x86 builds (32-bit)

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Dec 16 17:31:46 CET 2013

On segunda-feira, 16 de dezembro de 2013 12:07:33, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > So now we'd need to manage >1 set of mkspecs/q*pri files for x86 builds
> > somehow?  This is starting to feel ugly.
> >

> yes, it's utterly ugly. i'd keep only the non-sse set once the build is
> through (you can't configure the sse version with a different data path,
> so there is really no way to avoid the file conflict).
> this, of course, makes it basically impossible to make a
> module-by-module build. but then, the doc build already precludes that
> anyway.
>
> when thiago's proposal is properly approved, we can start thinking how
> to integrate this properly upstream ...

Discussion on IRC shows that it's easiest to invert in 5.2 what we'll do in
5.3.

In 5.2, all Qt modules are compiled with sse2 enabled, which is the default.
But QtQml's output is moved to lib/sse2 and that library -- and only that
library -- is recompiled with qmake -config no_sse2, and installed to the
default location.