[Development] "The Software shall be used for Good, not Evil" statement in Qt sources

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Dec 18 18:04:20 CET 2013

<perezmeyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi! I would like to now if it's acceptable for the project to have 3rd
> >> party code with the following statement in 3rd party sources:
> >>
> >> "The Software shall be used for Good, not Evil”
> >
> > Does it come with definitions of “good” and “evil” ?
>
> Of course not. See also: Douglas Crockford.
>
> Most linux distributions, as well as google code hosting and others are
> treating it as a non-free license.

If only we could get the opinion of a Linux distribution known for being a
stickler to the free software definitions, to the point of even having their
own free software guidelines... ;-)

I guess that you brought this up because Debian would have a problem with it.
I'm going to say that we have a problem with it too, both as open source and
free software devs and from the commercial point of view. From FOSS point of
view, we don't limit what you can do with the software; from the commercial
point of view, some segments of the industry (like defence) might not like it.