[Development] #pragma or xxx_s functions

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Dec 19 02:31:26 CET 2013

On quarta-feira, 18 de dezembro de 2013 23:05:28, Nicolás Alvarez wrote:
> 2013/12/18 Kurt Pattyn <pattyn.kurt at gmail.com>:
> > For a lot of the standard C functions, Microsoft has implemented "safe"
> > versions. Functions like sprintf, scanf, strcpy, aso have "safe"
> > counterparts with an _s suffix: sprintf_s, scanf_s, aso When the
> > "non-safe" functions are used, the Microsoft compiler generates a warning
> > that these functions should be replaced by their "safe" counterparts.
> > There are 3 ways to get rid of these warnings:
> > 1. replacing those functions,
> > 2. using a #pragma
> > 3. using a compiler flag
> >
> > What is the recommended way to get rid of these warnings in the Qt
> > sources?
> >
> > I solved these warnings by replacing the calls with the safe versions, but
> > the patch was rejected because it was recommended to use #pragmas. Before
> > proceeding and going through the sources again, I would like to know the
> > recommended practice within Qt.
> The so-called safe functions with the _s are Microsoft extensions and
> don't exist in other platforms. Changing to the "recommended" "safe"
> functions makes the code only compile and work on Windows.
>
> I don't know how Qt handles this, but in other projects the solution
> I've seen is to just define _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS globally.

I especially like memcpy_s, which takes an extra argument which is most often
the exact same value you were already passing anyway[1]. Too bad they didn't
make memcmp_s, that would have been funny, returning EDOOFUS if you passed the
wrong args :-)

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wes2t00f.aspx
[2] http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/ident?i=EDOOFUS
  See also the suggested replacements at [3], of which I like EEEEEEEEEEK best
[3]
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!msg/fa.freebsd.hackers/V7cWmQeWVfg/IIjCCbdz4BEJ