[Development] QWidget mouse events - different order

Andreas Aardal Hanssen andreas at hanssen.name
Thu Dec 19 22:18:36 CET 2013

On 19 Dec 2013, at 18:36, Rick Stockton <rickstockton at reno-computerhelp.com> wrote:
> Perhaps we should perform as QT4 did (there wasn't a second ButtonPress,
> the DoubleClick "ate it"). Such use cases would then need to be "fixed
> up" (i,e, to accept EITHER event as a cause for executing that Action)?
> Logical, but a lot of work.

Keeping Qt 5’s current behavior makes it impossible for an app to distinguish between multiple presses and a double-click without duplicating the timers in QApplication. Applications that rely on the original behavior are likely to be confused by the state you enter when receiving the second press.

http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtwidgets/qapplication.html#doubleClickInterval-prop

Sending the press event before the double click looks like a mistake, I wonder if it’s the same on all platforms. I would be surprised, as it would break all apps that handle more than simple mouse events. A git bisect is probably a good idea...

Andreas