[Development] C++11 and QtWebkit in 5.2.0

Soroush Rabiei soroush.rabiei at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 12:40:29 CET 2013

Hi list

IIRC webkit source is not supposed to be compiled with C++11. So I turned
off new standard in configure script:

  .\configure ... -no-c++11 ...

Trying to compile I got this error:

In file included from Platform\CoreIPC\Connection.h:35:0,
                 from Platform\CoreIPC\Connection.cpp:27:
Platform/WorkQueue.h:145:30: error: '>>' should be '> >' within a nested
template argument list
     Vector<RefPtr<WorkItemWin>> m_workItemQueue;
                              ^
Platform/WorkQueue.h:148:42: error: '>>' should be '> >' within a nested
template argument list
     HashMap<HANDLE, RefPtr<HandleWorkItem>> m_handles;
                                          ^

I guess closing nested templates with two right brackets, is a C++11
feature which is backward-incompatible. C++03 standard does not define >>,
therefore compilers can't parse >> as an end token but they see a right
shift operator. That's why we do always care about adding s space between
brackets. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

After all, is writing C++11 code in a module which is not supposed to be
compiled with C++11 a bug? or I'm missing something?

Notes:
1. I edited source code and managed to compile webkit.