[Development] [Request] Add Info to QDebug

Keith Gardner kreios4004 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 15:05:18 CET 2013

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 7:42 AM, Thiago Macieira
<thiago.macieira at intel.com>wrote:

> On segunda-feira, 23 de dezembro de 2013 14:06:07, Kurt Pattyn wrote:
> > > - Warning: is a notice that something went wrong, but it might not
> affect
> > > the application. You can disable it with QT_NO_WARNING_OUTPUT since is
> > > not that important.
> >
> > Warnings are not errors, and do not require immediate action; example:
> file
> > system is 80% full. They normally indicate that something might go wrong
> in
> > the future if no action is taken.
>
> True, but that's now how we use them in Qt. We use them as "programmer
> error,
> parameters are invalid" or "unknown condition happened", but stuff that we
> managed to continue from.
>
> > The proposal is not to mimic the syslog events, but at least to have a
> more
> > fine-grained control over the log messages. Most logging systems have the
> > info and error severity levels. Here is a small overview together with a
> > potential mapping to qDebug, qInfo, …:

 I see arguments for and against a qError, but I haven't seen an argument
against qInfo.

I believe that regardless of the outcome for qError, I think the addition
of a qInfo would be greatly welcomed.  I would like to present to the user
some runtime information that is not intended for debugging but could be
some good metrics about how the application is performing.  This also flows
nicely with the logging framework as well.

Keith