[Development] Qt/Android Ministro Question

Travis Allen tallen at blackberry.com
Mon Dec 23 19:59:32 CET 2013

I am using 9.6.8 that I sideloaded from your mailing list request for people to test.

Yes, I agree that there will not be much changes however for Android KitKat there is a *major* bug in any version of Qt 5.2 before rc1 (maybe including rc1 too? I forget now) that causes all Qt applications on KitKat to crash when they are started (100% of the time). Currently Ministro pulls down an older version of Qt than is required for any Qt application to launch on KitKat.

I am wondering why official 5.2 binaries weren't available to Ministro when they were officially released, or at least shortly thereafter. If Ministro is the suggested way to get Qt binaries for applications on Android (as I understand it is) it should be pulled into the official release timeline. It isn't good for Qt when a developer can compile his application using the latest and greatest and it crashes on Android using Ministro for weeks after a Qt version is released.

This is not meant to be critical towards you BogDan (you've done some amazing work with the Android port) - it is a suggestion that if we want Qt to be successful on Android we need to keep the runtime library distribution in sync with releases. Ideally updating Ministro would be pulled into the official Qt release so when it is announced it is already available for download on Android.

Thanks!

Travis Allen