[Development] abandoning stale changes on gerrit

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Feb 1 00:32:44 CET 2013

On quinta-feira, 31 de janeiro de 2013 19.43.37, Thorbjørn Martsum wrote:
> Hi Oswald and others
>
> Though I clearly understand the reason, I don't like the idea. It is not
> that I have a problem with writing 'do not abandon' on my own old changes.
> My main concern is that we have had contributers who left the community and
> they have left their patches.

I don't see how that is in any way relevant.

> Some of these patches just needs to be shined a bit up and then they are
> ready to be put into Qt. I was actually planning to write a mail on this
> list on what we were going to do with them (ie how to find the onces that
> had value). However a regular and automatic abandon is not the strategy
> that I hoped for. It will merely waste the work and make it impossible to
> find any old useful patches. At the very least it would be nice to be able
> to locate which patches was automatically abandoned (preferably in
> gerrit).

Why is changing the status making your proposal more difficult?

If I already know of changes that should be kept (and I do know of a few), I
can do as Ossi said and simply write any comment to them, which would cause
them not to be abandoned.

If I don't know of such changes yet, the status doesn't matter. Whenever I go
looking for them, I can easily find abandoned as well as non-abandoned changes.

Most changes we are talking about today are still pointing towards the master
branch. Whatever I do with that patch, I need to create a new review anyway.
So the old review needs to be abandoned ANYWAY at some point in time.

In the future, maybe the change will be pointing to the right branch. If you
find such a change and you do want to touch it up minimally, then submit for
integration, you can always ask one admin to reopen it.