[Development] Reviews needed before android integration in two weeks

BogDan bog_dan_ro at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 5 13:17:42 CET 2013

> On Tuesday, February 05, 2013 02:58:47 AM BogDan wrote:

>>  Hi,
>>
>>  > On Tuesday, February 05, 2013 11:33:29 AM Paul Olav Tvete wrote:
>>  > [...]
>>  >
>>  >>  mkspecs/android-g++/qmake.conf
>>  >
>>  > One suggestion regarding the name of the mkspec:
>>  >
>>  > It's not unusual to have linux* masks in .pro files (at least not
> in
>>  > WebKit
>>  > ;-)
>>  >
>>  > Would it perhaps make sense to rename the mkspec to linux-android-g++
>>  > emphasize the fact that at the heart it is still a Linux system
> we're
>>  > building
>>  > for?
>>  >
>>  >

>>  Linux is only the kernel, which can be changed if Google finds a better
>>  alternative, and is not required to build an Android application.
>>  The rest of the O.S. is Android. IMHO android-g++ is the right name
>>  (just like blackberry-*-gcc), Because to build an application we need libs
>>  that are Android "specific" (they have their own libc
> implementation, etc),
>>  not the linux kernel.
>
> Yet bionic tries to be glibc compatible'ish.
>
> Changing the underlying kernel would be a major ABI break unless the new
> kernel comes with a compatibility layer (which would seem likely). But the day
> that happens I suggest we introduce a new mkspec ;)
>
> Let's put it this way: linux-g++* is just as fuzzy as android-g++* in what
> it
> means. But we're not in the business of creating mathematical formulas,
> we're
> in the business of making life easier for software developers. If we can make
> it easier for people to port their app to Android, why don't we do it?

  Why do you think that "./configure -xplatform linux-android-g++ ... " will make
software developer life easier than "./configure -xplatform android-g++ ... "  ?

  There are developer that don't know or don't care what kernel powers the
Android O.S., they know that they have to create an application for *android*
not for linux-android :) IMHO naming it linux-android-g++ will be confusing for
some developers  because they will think that linux is *required* to create
android apps, which is not the case ... As you said we should try to keep the
things simple and clear !

Cheers,
BogDan.