[Development] issue tracker rights

Frederik Gladhorn frederik.gladhorn at digia.com
Wed Feb 6 12:52:29 CET 2013

Hello all,

yesterday we did a bug triaging and fixing day here in the Digia Oslo office.
While everyone always looks at the bugs a little bit, it is sometimes good to
actually go through them and figure out if they are valid and their priority
so we know what to work on.

Traditionally we have been rather protective of our issues, allowing people to
file reports in jira, but not let anyone re-open or close them.
I think it would be a good time to re-think our policies for bugs.

I would like to propose that everyone (with an account) gets the ability to
create/close/re-open bugs. I don't think anyone will steal our bugs and run
away with them. In addition one gets a notification for subscribed bugs, so
it's easy to re-open a bug.

I am not sure what the best policy is about assigning priorities to bugs,
should everyone be able to prioritize? Of course everyone has their bug as the
most important thing in the world. We probably need to creat a good guideline
for this on the wiki.

Another point is assignment. We have the default asignees, but these are often
maintainers and in some areas they won't be able to fix all bugs. Probably
everyone should be able to assign a bug to themselves at least when it is
unassigned.
I also think it's good to have unassigned bugs when no one will be working on
them in the forseable future - those are up for grabs for everyone.

Bug triaging is a good way to get new contributors involved. So in my opinion
we should try to encourage everyone to help out with the cleanup of our bug-
tracker. Maybe we can even learn from KDE for example, where regular bug
triaging is working nicely.
(see for example http://techbase.kde.org/Contribute/Bugsquad )

--
Best regards,