[Development] B-Tree containers instead of STL in Qt

Olivier Goffart olivier at woboq.com
Mon Feb 11 14:29:11 CET 2013

On Friday 08 February 2013 10:51:14 Illya Kovalevskyy wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I found one Google thing, a useful thing -
> http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2013/01/c-containers-that-save-memory-> and-time.html. According to benchmarks: they are faster than STL containers.
>
> Afaik, Qt uses STL containers in its QVector, QMap, etc. Maybe it's a good
> idea to port it to usage of B-Tree containers, is it?

Qt don't use STL containers.
B-Tree makes no sens at all in QVector or other containers.
The only Qt container where it would perhaps makes sens is QMap, but it cannot
be changed until Qt6 without breaking binary compatibility.

Qt tries to be general purpose with its containers. You never can satisfies
everyone's need with general purposes.
If you are doing an application that requires a b-tree implementation, feel
free to use Google containers, or any of the many other implementations out
there.

--
Olivier

Woboq - Qt services and support - http://woboq.com