[Development] most suit implementation for global calendar systems

Mohsen Akhlaghi mohsen at madagon.com
Mon Feb 11 23:25:09 CET 2013

Hello all,

I'm thinking of a global calendar support including Julian (as base),
Gregorian, Hebrew (jewish), Hijri (Islamic) and Jalali (Persian).

I know there's already discussions on localizations in Qt but I believe the
calendar system isn't just limited to locales but it's a feature that should
be truly available even as a separated class. Besides, defectively
implementations of this object would be a leading to rework in future where
other calendars want to add to the game.

BTW, what I need to start developing such class is just a little information
on how to start and how to implement that could be qualified as a piece of
Qt code in near feature.

.         should I subclass another object (might be QCalendarSystem or
QDateTime)? Or is it preferred to have a new class with its own methods or
same as what on the QDate?

.         Should I implement switching to OS native date calculation on
environments which have those calendars supported natively such as KDE?
(however doesn't make sense to me)

.         Should it be a playground project at first? And how to ask the
maintainer to open a project on gerrit for me?

I already have those c++ implementations of calendars which was tested for
many years and I'm sure I'm able to forward it to Qt as well neat and clean.

Probably you've experiences and lots of information for helping me move and
growth.