[Development] Qt 5.1 feature set and freeze date

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Wed Feb 13 19:37:39 CET 2013

On 13 February 2013 15:13, Koehne Kai <Kai.Koehne at digia.com> wrote:

> Which parts of the ICU data are you using (from http://apps.icu-project.org/datacustom/  ) ?
> I'd really like us to strip down the default ICU libs on windows for 5.1 ...

Good question.  I think the following under "Miscellaneous Data" would cover it:

    supplementalData.res
    timezoneTypes.res
    windowsZones.res
    zone/*.res

I'm still trying to decide if / how to even enable the ICU time zones
in Windows.  I think by default on Windows we'll use the host system
even if QT_USE_ICU is set.  If QT_NO_SYSTEMLOCALE is set and
QT_USE_ICU is also set then I think it's implied to use ICU for time
zones, otherwise we'll just fall-back to UTC.

However, there are two special cases where we might want to use ICU on
Windows anyway:
1) An app may want to always use ICU on Windows due to the poor native
Time Zone support on Windows, so we may need a way to allow them to do
that.
2) The Windows zone names are currently only supported in the system
language, and may not match the Olsen names due to the Windows ID
mapping.  We may prefer to use the ICU translations instead if
available.

Always using ICU on Windows if available would be an option, except
ICU is missing support in it's C api for one important feature.

On Linux there's a similar dilemma with the TZ file not having
translations, but on Mac there is no reason to use ICU as the Mac
classes already wrap ICU and are easier to use.

Cheers!

John.