[Development] Qt 5.1 feature set and freeze date

Lorn Potter lorn.potter at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 20:21:00 CET 2013

On 14/02/13 04:37, John Layt wrote:
> On 13 February 2013 15:13, Koehne Kai <Kai.Koehne at digia.com> wrote:
>
>> Which parts of the ICU data are you using (from http://apps.icu-project.org/datacustom/  ) ?
>> I'd really like us to strip down the default ICU libs on windows for 5.1 ...
>
> Good question.  I think the following under "Miscellaneous Data" would cover it:
>
>      supplementalData.res
>      timezoneTypes.res
>      windowsZones.res
>      zone/*.res
>
> I'm still trying to decide if / how to even enable the ICU time zones
> in Windows.  I think by default on Windows we'll use the host system
> even if QT_USE_ICU is set.  If QT_NO_SYSTEMLOCALE is set and
> QT_USE_ICU is also set then I think it's implied to use ICU for time
> zones, otherwise we'll just fall-back to UTC.
>
> However, there are two special cases where we might want to use ICU on
> Windows anyway:
> 1) An app may want to always use ICU on Windows due to the poor native
> Time Zone support on Windows, so we may need a way to allow them to do
> that.
see below.

> 2) The Windows zone names are currently only supported in the system
> language, and may not match the Olsen names due to the Windows ID
> mapping.  We may prefer to use the ICU translations instead if
> available.

Back long ago
(feel free to assign that one to yourself!)
  :)
I was working on porting qtopia's timezone class to qt.
I added full windows <> olsen conversion. It was able to use either
system on all platforms (at least names)
If you want to look at them, I can dig up those files.

Yes, the windows tz stuff is limited. At that time, I believe Thiago
wanted the tzdatabase to be shipped.

> Always using ICU on Windows if available would be an option, except
> ICU is missing support in it's C api for one important feature.
>
> On Linux there's a similar dilemma with the TZ file not having
> translations, but on Mac there is no reason to use ICU as the Mac
> classes already wrap ICU and are easier to use.
>
> Cheers!
>
> John.

Lorn Potter
Senior Software Engineer, QtSensors/QtSensorGestures/QtSystemInfo