[Development] Qt 4.6.5 and 4.7.6 release candidates available

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Feb 19 17:14:05 CET 2013

On sexta-feira, 21 de dezembro de 2012 16.11.08, Salovaara Akseli wrote:
> We have created Qt 4.6.5 and 4.7.6 release candidates that bring the
> following changes over the previous ones in their series:

$ ncftpls ftp://ftp.qt-project.org/qt/source/*4.7.*.tar.gz
qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.7.0.tar.gz
qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.7.1.tar.gz
qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.7.2.tar.gz
qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.7.3.tar.gz
qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.7.4.tar.gz

What happened to 4.7.5?

Answer: it was a Digia release. (cf discussion in https://codereview.qt-
project.org/48232)

The next Qt 4.7 release from the Qt Project is 4.7.5. I am fine still with the
plan as posted:

> We do not want to add other than important security fixes and mandatory
> copyright changes in order not to cause regressions.

But the content (the 4.6-digia and 4.7-digia branches) is not following the
plan. They include a lot of unrelated changes that aren't the copyright
changes and security fixes. And there has been an extra security fix since then
that isn't in those vendor branches.

I propose therefore the following plan (Plan I):

1) release Qt Project's Qt 4.6.5 and 4.7.5 following the plan above, by
branching off the latest tags (4.6.4 and 4.7.4), applying the security fixes and
the copyright changes

2) release again Qt Project's 4.7.6 that includes those plus all the other
fixes

3) after that, Digia is allowed to release 4.7.6-digia.

Alternative plan (Plan II):
1) release Qt Project's 4.7.6 and announce that we're skipping one version
number to align with a past commercial release by Digia, but that it won't
happen again. This release must come from the 4.7 branch, not the 4.7-digia
branch.

2) after that, Digia is allowed to release 4.7.6-digia.

And Plan III:
1) Digia releases 4.7.4-digia2 or 4.7.5-digia2, without increasing the main Qt
version number again. That is not a Qt Project release.

Remember: only the Qt Project can create a new Qt version number.