[Development] Android: Merge or no merge?

Eskil Abrahamsen Blomfeldt eskil.abrahamsen-blomfeldt at digia.com
Thu Feb 21 14:50:26 CET 2013

On 02/21/2013 02:16 PM, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
>> and I fear it will jeopardize our chances of meeting the Qt 5.1
>> deadline.
>>
> ah, yeah, there it is: we have a deadline to meet. let's ignore good
> practice!

Yes, of course it is a trade-off. In this case, the negative effects of
having a code drop with some amendments is outweighed by the positive
effects of having usable SHA1s in Jira and of being able to focus the
time of developers on more important issues.

This does not mean that we would accept any compromise thinkable, but in
this case either solution is a compromise. One favours time and history
over cleanliness, while the other favours cleanliness.

As far as I can gather from the attention this discussion is getting,
having the code drop with amendments in the Android-specific parts of
the code is not unacceptable to anyone but you, while having the history
intact and work load focused is viewed as valuable by the people who are
working on this.

The history provides documentation of what has happened to the code,
also of the mistakes that are made. The history in this case also
documents why the code differs from the Necessitas project, which might
also be useful to some people.

As we've said earlier, we're hoping to do the merge this week, which
means tomorrow. With the comments in this thread so far, I don't see any
justification to delay it.

-- Eskil