[Development] accelerated video hardware playback status and qt5

Nichols Andy Andy.Nichols at digia.com
Tue Jan 8 21:04:05 CET 2013

Hi,

> what is the status and the planning for qt5 accelerated video playback :
>  on Windows (It seems that there was some work around dxva/Angle playback)
> Linux : Gstreamer?
> Mac : ?
> And android (I suppose for now that there is no video support)

On Mac 10.7+ using the AVFoundation media player plugin (the default) there is hardware accelerated video playback for all use cases except raster backed QGraphicsView (where unfortunately there is a QImage bottleneck that can't be helped but at least the video is decoded in hardware before each frame is copied to a QImage).

Windows has a similar situation where videos are decoded using hardware acceleration where available, but take a slower path to the screen involving frames getting converted to a QImage.  For the Windows installations with Angle there is the possibility for a fast path to QtQuick scenes, but I'm not sure that's enabled yet.

I'll let someone else chime in about the GStreamer back end's support for dvxa as I'm not sure of the level of support there.

Android support is under investigation.

For iOS the plan is to modify the AVFoundation plugin to work on iOS as the API is shared between OS X and iOS (which also is hardware accelerated)

Regards,
--
Andy Nichols