[Development] submitting a multi-dimensional container class for Qt: QNDArray

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jan 9 23:02:17 CET 2013

On quarta-feira, 9 de janeiro de 2013 13.19.10, Glen Mabey wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2013, at 5:54 AM, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> > On Friday 28 December 2012 08:36:21 Glen Mabey wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> For some time, I have been working on a QtCore-based class that would be
> >> container class of arbitrary dimensionality.  I did give a presentation
> >> on
> >
> >> this topic at DevDays-CA:
> > Just my personal opinion on this:
> >
> > I do not think this class should be included in QtCore or even in a any
> > module of Qt base.
> >
> > I think this is out of the scope of Qt. I  do not see that many uses case
> > for normal Qt applications.
>
> I am not surprised that some developers would feel this way, and I think I
> would also feel that way if Qt were still strictly a GUI toolkit, instead
> of the application framework that it became in Qt4.

I'm not sure it's out of scope for Qt. In fact, I don't know yet whether it
should be part of Qt Core or not. I guess I am the person to make that
particular call.

So what I need from Glen is, at least, the proposed API docs with some
proposed examples of how it will work.

I need to review that to decide whether it fits Qt Core's purpose in life.

> So, I agree that too much *could* be put into QNDArray, and *that* would be
> inappropriate for the Qt project, in my mostly-outsider opinion.

Indeed. If I look at https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,44016, I'll
reject immediately. Let's start with the presence of C source files, Python
scripts, something called ".template" which has never been seen before,
examples inside the source tree instead of in the examples tree, files with
uppercase letters in the name.

To be accepted in QtCore, the contribution must be of a handful[*] of files in
src/corelib/tools, including the documentation, with examples in examples/,
tests in tests/auto/corelib/tools/qndarray.

[*] by "handful", I mean it literally: counted with the fingers of one hand.
And I do not mean binary counting (2⁵ = 32 files).

> But I'm not proposing that the kitchen sink be put in, only the container
> class itself, and a few very basic mathematical operations like sin, cos,
> exp.  In fact, I probably should have down-sized the number of functions
> that were included in the QNDAMath namespace before I pushed.

That makes sense.

We'll need to rename the class and namespace, btw. "QND" does not mean
anything.