[Development] Platform Content Selection

Attila Csipa qt at csipa.in.rs
Thu Jan 10 13:16:06 CET 2013

On 10-Jan-13 04:25, Alan Alpert wrote:
> So I'll try to replace "cross-platform" now with "cross-device".
\> but I still prefer run-time). Android has the same problem, I have a
> lot of apps on my Nexus 7 which either literally or metaphorically do
> not work on that device. There are also apps that just have an ugly
> black border thanks to the auto-compatibility layer. As a convenience
> GUI toolkit, I think Qt should have some way to help application
> developers with this problem. I'm just focused on QML because I'm
> always focused on QML :) .

Have it clear if the selection is features, platform or devices, because
if you have a vague mix, the results will be weird. "BB10" means very
little in this context - I know you will adjust margins, but you will
also have to leave out WebView elements, QtMultimediaKit, etc, and
that's an adaptation that's not reusable if it all gets stuck under a
"BB10" directory/tag (for example iOS might also not have QtWebkit). To
me a "BB10" tag sounds more like "cascades" because that's one thing
that has 1:1 relation with the platform. Devices tags are also a weird
proposition (so do we now get a "2013 13" Macbook Air" tag? or is this
mobile-only? do we mash all 10 variants of SGS3 into one?). The Qt
heritage so far was, to maximize portability level, to "test for
features" - something sadly currenly NOT possible in an easy way in QML.
The other problem with "BB10" or "Android" style tags is "which
version"? BB10 might put in features from upstream Qt later, but how
would you know if your selected QML was meant for BB10 10.0 or 10.1, ICS
or JB Android (back to the imports story)? There are and will be cases
where the same binary needs to run on different Qt setups. Device
firmware upgrade cycles are not guaranteed, and while some platforms
might do ministro/smartinstaller-style upgrades, it's still not a
complete solution - users probably won't be happy people triggering tens
of megs of Qt downloads every now and then just because an extra
property has been introduced. I still think "then don't use it" is a
poor argument as it means "You're stuck with the first major Qt release
for that platform forever".

---