[Development] Qt 5 for Android developer mailing list

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Thu Jan 10 20:19:53 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Eskil Abrahamsen Blomfeldt <
eskil.abrahamsen-blomfeldt at digia.com> wrote:

>  On 01/09/2013 09:12 PM, Laszlo Papp wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Paul Olav Tvete <paul.tvete at digia.com>wrote:
>
>>  I'll try once more: We have identified the need for a dedicated channel
>> of
>> communication for a new project with a rather tight deadline. We would
>> like
>> that channel to be publicly visible so that that others can follow what
>> we do.
>>

> To be honest I am reluctant to this mentality of not caring about others
> like me who do not wish to subscribe to many mailing lists.
>

> Hi, Laszlo.
>
> I understand that a single mailing list is most convenient for the people
> who want to casually follow all Qt development or all mobile Qt
> development, but for those of us who will be working on this for eight
> hours every day, we need a clear channel of communication with more
> persistence than IRC. If I were to treat all mails in
> development at qt-project.org as potentially mission-critical, this would
> cause too many disruptions to my work. This is about finding a way for us
> to manage our project so that we can work efficiently, respond quickly,
> protect ourselves from distractions, etc. etc. In my experience, having a
> dedicated mailing list and a dedicated IRC channel is a big convenience and
> will reduce the risk of failure. That is the main priority.
>
> But communicating in the open to involve everyone who's interested in the
> project is also of a very high priority. To me, using qt-project.org as
> an umbrella seemed like the logical choice for this, as it would be easy to
> find for the target audience. If this is not acceptable to the Qt Project
> community, however, I would rather look for an alternative public mailing
> list option rather than using one internal to Digia. The comment about
> having private mails with huge CC-lists was a reference to the ad
> hoc-solution which often occurs naturally in projects with tight schedules
> where this problem of having a clear channel of communication has not been
> solved in some other way initially.
>
> Note that I would consider this mailing list as temporary and it will
> exist to facilitate this project. We could make the naming reflect this,
> perhaps? When the Qt 5 Android port is mature and development is no longer
> as focused, I don't believe there will be any need for a dedicated list. At
> this point, the list can be closed (or just phased out), and any
> Android-related issues can be addressed to the main development mailing
> list, same as for any other topics.

Fair enough. I find Caroline's suggestion good then for the compromise. :)

>  Do I care about mobile platforms? Yes.
> Do I wish to maintain many bubbles separately? No.
>

> There's really nothing preventing you from filtering these mailing list
> messages into the same IMAP folder. Adding a second mailing list is a
> compromise which considers both your wishes as well as the wishes of the
> project team and the wishes of the people who do not want to read mails
> about Android. Having everything in the same list is less flexible and
> accounts for the requirements of fewer people, so if your concern is caring
> about others, then I think having a dedicated list is more appropriate.

Once, you catch all those little stones, it is that simple, yep. However,
there were mailing lists and playground projects born without any publicity
(not blaming, just stating the fact :), and hence I can (did) miss one or
two here and there. Even if everything goes through publically like this
request I may miss something due to my mistakes.

Laszlo