[Development] ICU and Windows

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Jan 11 16:50:39 CET 2013

On sexta-feira, 11 de janeiro de 2013 13.32.35, Shaw Andy wrote:
> Unfortunately this is what is happening now if ICU is linked in, ICU will
> always use the release version so if Qt is built in debug mode then it will
> end up mixing the C runtime libraries.

> Either way I feel that this needs to be fixed ASAP because we could end up
> seeing bug reports that are in effect caused by this and end up creating
> more noise as a result.   A short term option (and potentially permanent)
> would be to link against a different version of the ICU libraries and point
> out that if they want to use Qt in debug they would need to build ICU
> themselves and make the relevant modifications to the output library names.

As far as I know, mixing C++ (not C!) runtime libraries is permitted, provided
that certain care is taken, especially that the runtime that allocated memory
must be the one to free it.

I think we are taking such care (we don't free any memory allocated by ICU).

So what exactly is the problem we need to solve? Has anyone noticed a crash, a
warning from the C++ runtime, etc.? Is there a latent issue we just haven't
hit?