[Development] Proposal: Adding a repository in Qt Project for the Ministro tool, needed by Qt for Android

Alan Alpert 416365416c at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 00:01:57 CET 2013

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM, Bache-Wiig Jens
<Jens.Bache-Wiig at digia.com> wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> As part of the Android-port of Qt 5 being contributed to the Qt Project
>> by BogDan, he also contributed the code for a general-purpose Android
>> app which is used for getting libraries and plugins on demand when a Qt
>> app is deployed to an Android device. This tool is called "Ministro".
>>
>> We need a repository to put it in, and the existing repositories do not
>> seem to fit, so I'm proposing making a new repository for this:
>> ministro/ministro
>
> I certainly don't mind adding the repository but I presume there will be a branding change once the Android port is made official. While "Neccessitas" and "Ministro" sounds cool, I think it would be better if we stop using those names officially and start to refer to them just as "Qt for Android" and "Qt Library Installer" or something similar and clear.
>
> I think people get a bit worried when they have to install something called "Ministro" on their phones. At least I was rather concerned the first time I installed a Qt app on my device and had to check twice. Perhaps we should name the repository accordingly?

I agree that a more utilitarian (meaning less cool) name would be
better for the app, but this shouldn't block the repo creation
question. We can paint that bikeshed when we come to it (unless
everyone immediately agrees on a new name of course).

Recall that we already have repositories with embarrassingly
inaccurate names, and it hasn't hurt anyone.

--
Alan Alpert