[Development] Proposal: Adding a repository in Qt Project for the Ministro tool, needed by Qt for Android

Abrahamsen-Blomfeldt Eskil Eskil.Abrahamsen-Blomfeldt at digia.com
Sat Jan 12 11:00:40 CET 2013

Hi,

I think there will have to be further discussion around this. Ministro was initially written to be a common-purpose library distribution, not exclusively used for Qt libraries. It would be like depending on "apt" or something like that. More discussion is needed to decide how to proceed with this, I think.

However, regardless of the outcome there, I don't think there's any problem branding the technology which distributes and shares the libraries as "Ministro". What name is used for distributing the app in app stores can be unrelated to the name of the technology which is only used in the code. So, like Alan said, I don't think this issue has to be resolved before the code is integrated in the Qt Project.

I think we need to make start off by making the binding-code for a Qt app generic enough that it can be configured to connect to a Ministro-based app with any name/app identifier. This way, we can do any necessary rebranding or other changes at a later stage when all opinions are heard.

The idea from there is to try to make the Ministro-app in the app store owned by a Qt Project-user, but how this would work legally is currently a bit unclear. If it turns out it's impossible, then we might need to make Qt Creator's Android-plugin Ministro-app-agnostic, Digia will make a Digia-owned distribution of Qt which can be selected in Qt Creator, but also allow developers to connect to the current Ministro app or their own, custom distribution of Qt if they so wish.

As for the name of the app: For the end-user of the app, I think it makes little difference whether the external app they have to download is called "Ministro" or "Qt". Either will most likely be a name they've never heard before. "Qt" might actually sound scarier to the average end-user than "Ministro" if you think about it :) If the app is exclusively used for Qt libraries, it should be named Qt, though, but if it's a general-purpose distribution mechanism, I think "Ministro" is a good name. I do think the main issue for many people will be the fact that you have to download a separate app to start the app you just downloaded, regardless of its name. I am worried that this will give developers an extra argument to use regular Android APIs for their app rather than Qt. Ideally, you should have to accept as few compromises as possible when using Qt for your app.

-- Eskil