[Development] Proposal - QtSerialPort graduation from the Playground

Uwe Rathmann Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de
Sat Jan 12 15:13:49 CET 2013

Hi Denis + Laszlo,

> IMHO, this for QextSerialPort: do not see any features.

QextSerialPort is pretty old ( from the 90s ) and the fact that it isn't
really a Qt library is probably the reason why it has survived all the
development of Qt without being actively maintained.

But I don't vote for it in any way - all I wanted to do is to report from
a related discussion as far as I can recall it.

> In summary I would say that QtSerialPort completely outperforms
> conventional counterparts of similar libraries for Qt, and it's true.
> You yourself can compare it. :)

QextSerialPort has one killer feature: Qt4 support !

Qt4 is where the applications are and probably will stay for quite some
time. Especially in embedded environments using the serial port is quite
common and unfortunately Qt5/QWS seems to be regression.

I guess QtSerialPort could easily support - even early - Qt4 versions.
The question is if this is something you could do as a graduated Qt5
module ?

--

Let me add one comment from the point of view of my project:

the serial port and a plot library are a very natural combination and the
idea of a special plot widget that is tailored to display values from the
serial port has been discussed several times.

But I never wanted to add a dependency for Qwt from a 3rd party like
QextSerialPort, but a lib that has a status of being the "standard"
solution for Qt applications would be different.

Uwe