[Development] ICU and Windows

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Mon Jan 14 12:55:41 CET 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Thiago Macieira
<thiago.macieira at intel.com>wrote:

On segunda-feira, 14 de janeiro de 2013 08.31.19, Yves Bailly wrote:
> > Which is not always that easy... if a library function returns, say, an
> > simple std::string *by value*, then who will destroy the allocated
> memory?
> > It's really too easy to break something, somwhere, causing a random crash
> > almost impossible to reproduce reliably.
>
> The ICU C API does not use std::string: it was meant to be used from C
> code.
> It's quite easy to avoid std::string in that case.

But as John said a few mails ago, it seems the C is not enough to implement
all the required features.

In addition to that, having ICU in 3rd parties makes Qt easier to build on
Windows. Developers who build their own Qt need not go and look at how to
build ICU, debug vs release flags, etc.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org