[Development] Platform Content Selection

Alan Alpert 416365416c at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 18:25:43 CET 2013

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 5:16 AM, Mohamed Fawzi <Fawzi.Mohamed at digia.com> wrote:

> On 16 Jan 2013, at 10:54, Thomas Hartmann <Thomas.Hartmann at digia.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> [...]
>>> I assume the selected content is also in the app local dir, but you
>>> have a special way to access it without tripping the selector code.
>>> Note that selector code, at least in the QML engine, can't be strictly
>>> limited to the running app's local dir, because QML modules might want
>>> to use selection too (on files in their plugin local dir).
>>
>> Yes we identified this issue, too.
>
> The main reason we left it (and also a detailed selector definition) out
>  is that as soon as you add libraries a problem comes in:
> selectors are global, and if you allow user defined selectors
> (which I am inclined to have), then one might have clashes
> (same selector name used in a different way) when using several libraries

The only use case I can think of for libraries to define selectors is
to make them available in the application, like if a SystemInfo
library added a bluetooth selector if the device had bluetooth. This
usecase requires the selectors to be global. So long as libraries are
clear and upfront about the selectors they enable, application
developers can manage it fine themselves. Like we have with symbol
names in C++.

--
Alan Alpert