[Development] ChangeLogs

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com
Fri Jan 18 11:49:12 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 11:48:50PM +0800, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On quinta-feira, 17 de janeiro de 2013 16.05.40, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > 5.0.0 is one of the poorest qt changelogs seen in a while.
>
> Qt 5.0.0 is also one of the most major releases seen in a while -- 7.5
> years to be precise. The major release deserves special treatment: we
> agreed on listing what was important for the porting effort.

that's for the "source incompatible changes" section.
but the "mostly source compatible" also implies that in many aspects it
is just like a regular minor version, so the "screw the changelog,
everything is totally different now anyway" mentality applied to
previous major versions just doesn't seem appropriate.

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 05:23:24PM +0800, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> ChangeLog: Fixed a crash that would cause the QObject constructor to crash if
> it was run during application shut down (that is, in global destructors).
>
> Change-Id: I0dba895b041fe6cf81e6f8939ca85035cd00aad1
> ===
>
> Note how it's repeating information that was already present in the commit
> message (it's redundant), just in a different way. Also note how the change log
> is not a line, but a longer sentence.

yes, and the purist in me agrees. but as both kai and eskil pointed out,
this isn't so much *additional* clutter, so whatever - i kind of don't
see the change-id lines when i browse logs anyway.

an additional upside of doing this while creating the commit is that one
may be more thorough with the message and the whole commit, as one is
forced to consider it from an additional angle. so it plays in the same
league as "needlessly" insisting on commit atomicity and other "process
stuff".