[Development] ChangeLogs

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com
Fri Jan 18 16:09:52 CET 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 09:38:05PM +0800, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On sexta-feira, 18 de janeiro de 2013 14.03.18, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > what is much more important is that the ChangeLog entries need to be
> > "tagged", so they can be automatically sorted into the right categories:
> >
> > ChangeLog: Core: SIC: renamed brokenName() to usefulName()
> >

> You raise another good point: how are we going to sort the changelog entries?
> We don't have the class name, module name or the major section of the file
> (Important behaviour changes, etc.)

i think we need a manually maintained set of valid tags, and have the
sanity bot complain about incorrect tagging. the correct set of tags can
be deduced from the structure of existing changelogs (assuming we
consider it sane).
when this is done right and used consistently, the actual generation of
the prototypical changelog can be fully automated.