[Development] Importing Snowshoe QML browser to the Qt project

Hausmann Simon Simon.Hausmann at digia.com
Thu Jan 24 22:18:30 CET 2013

Hi,

There haven't fortunately been any objections yet to this proposal, also unfortunately also no approval yet from a Qt maintainer.

Anyone willing to approve the inclusion? :)

Simon

Simon Hausmann <simon.hausmann at digia.com> wrote:

Hi all,

Now that Qt 5.0.0 is out I feel that it is a good time to also emphasize show case of Qt and QML as a technology. In Qt 4 we've had a couple of pretty nice demo in the source code, including a pretty neat demo browser. It serves as a show-case
for QtWebKit's C++ API and the Qt widgets (line edit, customizable tab widget, etc.).

I would like to have the same for the new technologies we've been working on in
the past years, Qt 5, QtQuick 2 and the multi-process capable WebKit integration
into Qt. That means basically a little web browser that blends all these technologie together. One option is to start with a new code base from scratch, but I would
like to explore another option first:

Our friends at INdT started writing a little web browser with exactly that spirit,
and to top it off: It's open source and it looks very pretty! It's got a shiny website at

    http://snowshoe.openbossa.org/

and source code that is currently hosted at Github.

So I got in touch with them and they're willing to contribute the code to the Qt
project. I'm therefore seeking approval from the Qt project to importing Snowshoe
into Gerrit, with

    playground/snowshoe

as proposed location, although I admit that we do have a little problem with
the naming there as it's not in line with the guidelines:

http://qt-project.org/wiki/Creating-a-new-module-or-tool-for-Qt#681f347d064c99a795cb47631e853396

Opinions? Thoughts?

Simon