[Development] Status update on Digia's Qt for Android project

Eskil Abrahamsen Blomfeldt eskil.abrahamsen-blomfeldt at digia.com
Fri Jan 25 15:47:35 CET 2013

Hi,

As I promised earlier, I will give a short update on the Qt for Android
project at Digia on a semi-regular basis.

First off, let me introduce the people in Digia who are working on the
project:

Sinan Tanilkan, acting as product manager
Eskil Blomfeldt (me), acting as project lead

Developers in Oslo:
Paul Olav Tvete,
Christian Strømme,
Yoann Lopes,

In Berlin:
Daniel Teske,
André Pönitz

day-to-day discussions that we would like to archive and are using the
#necessitas IRC channel on Freenode for more direct communication.

The project wiki is here:

     http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt5ForAndroid

This week we have been focusing on QtMultimedia and virtual keyboard
support, and preparing for a trip to Berlin next week where we'll
discuss the tooling and the build system.

The high-level discussions currently on-going are:

1. What should we do about OpenSSL and our binary distributions? There
are legal issues related to deploying applications that contain
cryptographic software in some countries, so we need to find out how to
handle this and based on research done, we believe the APIs provided in
Android do not cover our needs. My idea is to have the binary
distribution provide both a non-SSL-enabled and an SSL-enabled build
(with OpenSSL built in), and the app developer will choose which to
download. This would be an extra burden on the app developer, though, so
it would be ideal if we could make the SSL-enabled library the default,
and just provide an option to select the other one for the use cases
where the legal issues come into play. Any takes? I know this issue also
exist for the iOS port. Does anyone know what we do with the binary SDK
on Windows?

2. There are currently a few names in the Android source code (in
particular in the Java code) which makes it hard for new developers to
find their way around. I've proposed the following renaming of the
following Java packages:

      Quadruplor becomes org.qtproject.qt5.android.tests
      Industrius becomes org.qtproject.qt5.android
      Origo becomes org.qtproject.qt5.android.bindings

That's about it! Please join us on IRC or on the project mailing list if you want to participate :)

-- Eskil