[Development] Proposal - QtSerialPort graduation from the Playground

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at digia.com
Fri Jan 25 22:05:14 CET 2013

Hi Lazlo,

sorry for the late answer.

I went through the module now, and it looks like a good and solid piece of work. Thanks to everybody who contributed :)

>From an API perspective it looks pretty good. I'm not an expert on serial ports, but from what I recall from the time I dealt a little with them (must be 10 years ago or so…) it looks pretty complete as well. S o with the changes proposed on the mailing list I believe the API is good to go :)

Docs are also looking good IMO, so I'm happy to graduate it to an add-on for 5.1.

There are a few remaining things I'd like to see happen before that though:

* Could you please fix the copyright headers to out standard form (simply check a header from qtbase)?
* Could you give the module the same structure as the other Qt modules, esp. with regards to where the source for the docs live? Please check http://qt-project.org/wiki/Creating-a-new-module-or-tool-for-Qt and make sure the module follows the guidelines.
* I'm fine calling the module just QtSerialPort instead of QtAddonSerialPort to simplify naming. I doubt we'll get conflicts in the future because of that.
* The double namespace is a requirement we have removed, a simple "namespace QtSerialPort" is enough.

And a question: There's no auto tests. I know that testing serial ports can't really be done in an automated fashion, but is there anything we can do to cover the module?

Cheers,
Lars